What is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation or augmentation mammoplasty is a surgical procedure to increase the size of your breasts. The surgery involves placing breast implants just under the breast tissue or the chest muscles.
Why Breast Augmentation?
If you feel self-conscious about the size of your breasts, you don’t have to live your life this way anymore. With breast augmentation at Indianapolis‘ SHarper Plastic Surgery, you can live your life with confidence. This is personalized care to help you accomplish your aesthetic goals.
Breast augmentation can also be used for conditions that change the size of your breasts. If you had a pregnancy recently, it is possible that the size of your breasts changed. Breast augmentation can also help you reduce the size of your breasts.
If you have had breast surgery in the past that ended up with uneven breast sizes, this surgery can help correct the problem and ensure your breasts are the same size.
What You Need to Consider Before Receiving Breast Augmentation
Deciding to undergo breast augmentation is only the first step. There are several decisions to consider before the actual procedure. Here are some of them:
1. Your goals and motives. Is your decision to have breast augmentation because you want a more curvaceous figure, or is it because you want to correct mismatched breasts? Do you simply want to increase the size of your breasts? Clarifying your reasons for breast augmentation are a must.
2. Size. Do you want to get your breast size up in proportion to the rest of your body, or do you want to go a couple of sizes bigger and increase the wow-factor? If you are into rigorous sports, extremely large breasts may not be ideal, and you may just want to get them mildly larger. You can also take into account the type of clothes you wear and how they would look with different bust sizes. Don’t rush through this decision and discuss your concerns with your surgeon.
3. Shape. Implant shapes significantly impact the way your breasts will finally look. For example, you can have wider implants that have a low profile and will project less, while narrower implants that have the same volume will project more. There are basically two shapes to choose from – round and anatomical or teardrop shape.
4. Fill. Breast implants are either silicone or saline. There are advantages and considerations of both types. Your surgeon will be able to explain the difference between the two. Whether you choose silicone-filled implants or saline-filled implants, you will need to replace them eventually.
At SHarper Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, we understand our guests have many different reasons for seeking breast augmentation in Indianapolis! Whether you are concerned with increasing the fullness and projection of your breasts, improving the overall look of your figure and curves, or increasing breast volume lost after pregnancy, Dr. Harper is equipped to address your concerns. With Dr. Harper’s help, you can achieve larger, natural-feeling breasts that look great.
What Can Breast Augmentation Do for You?
Breast Augmentation is one of the most frequently requested forms of plastic surgery in Indianapolis. This surgery, also known as augmentation mammoplasty, also happens to be one of Dr. Harper’s most popular procedures! Through this surgery, Dr. Harper can enhance the size and improve the shape of a woman’s breasts. In certain patients, the procedure can even help achieve better symmetry of the breasts, while at the same time providing a better balance between the contours of the breasts and hips.
Breast augmentation surgery is performed by placing a silicone or saline breast implant just under the natural breast tissue to increase the volume of the breasts. These implants are often placed underneath the chest muscle in what is known as “subpectoral placement” in order to give the breasts a more natural, fuller appearance. While breast implants can also be seated directly beneath the mammary glands, subpectoral implants are often preferred because visible rippling is less likely, mammograms are more accurate, and the implant will tend to remain in its position without shifting or moving.
Choosing the Right Implant
Today’s breast implants come in a variety of sizes and types. Dr. Harper will guide you through the wide range of implants available, educating you about some of the subtle differences and helping you choose what type of implant is right for you. In addition, many patients choose to combine breast augmentation with other procedures. It is common for breast augmentation to be performed with a breast lift (mastopexy) or a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) procedure. Of course, all surgeries carry risks and benefits, and Dr. Harper will help educate you about the risks, benefits and alternatives to breast augmentation during your free consultation.
The Breast Augmentation Procedure
The procedure for breast augmentation typically begins with anesthesia, followed by incisions made in unnoticeable areas, to reduce any visible scarring. The most common options for these incisions are:
- Along the areolar edge, which the doctor may refer to as a periareolar incision. These incisions are made around the edge of the areola, and it is usually best for patients with darker areolas, as this will help disguise the scarring.
- In the armpit, which is also known as an axillary incision. The incisions are made in the crease of the armpit, which eliminates the risk of scarring the breasts, but for this, only saline-filled implants are used.
- In the fold under the breast, which is an inframammary fold incision. For this, the incisions are made underneath the breast, in the crease where the chest meets the breast tissue. For these incisions, either saline or silicone implants can be used, and thus this is one of the most common locations for the incisions.
Dr. Harper will discuss with you these different types of incisions and help you determine which is best for you, based on the type of breast implant chosen, how much the breasts are being enlarged, and your particular anatomy.
Once the incisions are made, the breast implants are placed either below the chest muscle or directly beneath the breast tissue. Then the incisions are closed with skin adhesive, sutures, or surgical tape, and the healing process can begin.
Breast Augmentation Recovery
Recovery after breast augmentation surgery is usually fairly mild. Patients who have a job that does not require heavy lifting can return to work within a week. The incisions are most commonly located under the breasts, and depending on the procedure, usually, they heal within 7–10 days. While most patients report soreness and fatigue immediately after the operation, it will only last for a few days after their operation. Patients may experience swelling or bruising, and this will resolve over the first month. Scars from breast augmentation tend to heal well and fade over the first year, and Dr. Harper will provide education as to scar massage and scar creams to help the scars heal quickly.
Breast Augmentation Cost
The average cost of breast augmentation in Indianapolis can be up to $1,000.00 less than the national average. However, when you’re looking for the best breast augmentation Indianapolis has to offer, just remember this: you don’t want to find the cheapest plastic surgeon around. You want someone like Dr. Harper, because he is extremely professional and highly skilled at performing breast augmentation surgery. Every patient is different, and since the actual cost of breast augmentation can vary so widely from patient to patient, the best thing to do is to come in for a personalized consultation with Dr. Harper for an estimate of how much your breast augmentation may cost.
Expectations with Breast Augmentation
While breast augmentation can produce striking, dramatic results, it’s best to make sure you decide on the right procedure for the outcome you desire. Breast augmentation is perfect for increasing the size of the breasts, but implants alone will not fully address drooping breasts so they no longer sag. Patients seeking a more lifted, lively look would be better off considering a breast lift along with the augmentation procedure. Dr. Harper will take time before the operation to discuss with you the expectations and ultimate goals you desire for your breast augmentation surgery. Every patient is different, so it is imperative that an individualized strategy is created to help achieve these goals!
Breast Augmentation Indianapolis Consultation
The best way to get all your questions answered about breast augmentation, types of breast implants, incisions, the recovery process, and so forth, is to contact SHarper Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery for a consultation with Dr. Stanley Harper. Call us today! Our specialist in breast augmentation Indianapolis would love to help you get the look you’ve always wanted for your figure.